Monday 2 November 2015

Day 40: I Still Love you Mrs. Badger

Today I did not learn something new; I relearned lessons from 36 years ago in my grade 1 class. After our School Support Visits ended today in Orillia I took a valuable detour to visit my favourite teacher of all time and first ever crush -Mrs. Badger. This is not something I would normally have done but I often think of the impact she had on me and the lessons I learned from her.
I wasn't sure of she would remember me so admittedly I was nervous as I knocked on her door.......... our conversation lasted for over an hour. It was incredible to learn about her life as a teacher, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. Every story she told me was about kids.

During our conversation Mrs. Badger said, "Oh I thought I was too strict with the class!" I reminded her that she was the same teacher who:

  • pulled out our loose teeth
  • bought winter jackets for kids in need of warmth
  • gave us hugs when we were hurt or upset
  • told us she loved us
  • kept a bar of soap by the class sink in case of any "bad words"( Although I don't recommend this technique- I don't remember her actually using it and  I also don't remember anyone using "bad language")
  • played floor hockey during gym class
  • danced with us during the Health Hustle
  • came to my 7th birthday party and brought a present!!
She reminded me that although our pedagogy changes, there are some teaching  fundamentals that will hopefully never change. The easiest path to learning is through our genuine care and concern for the children we serve. I still love you Mrs. Badger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment