Thursday 15 October 2015

Day 28: The importance of having a supportive "buddy"


Today I was reminded of the importance of having a supportive buddy, or someone to simply talk things through when you are trying new things. I was also reminded that you don't have to be an "expert" to be a supportive buddy.

My morning started with a text message from Louise Owen, our local SCDSB assessment guru.


My response was vague. 

After that, the line went silent for a while.  I assumed they were playing with one of the tools. 



I knew I wasn't going to be much help because I don't remember how to install the plug in. I hadn't been paying too much attention as we were chatting, but Louise's last message really started me thinking. 

How many times a day do I rely on a cheerleader or supportive friend to bounce ideas off and give me confidence? I did very little to help Louise today, other than be a person to bounce ideas off of. I would never have thought much of it until 10 minutes later I turned to Shannon Simpson, our SCDSB Canadian World Studies and inquiry guru to run an idea by her. Her response prompted me to push further and gave me the confidence to try something new. Her response was critical in ensuring I felt that I had the support to keep trying. I rely on these types of conversations daily. Last week it was Louise encouraging me on things assessment related.

We ALL need people we can run ideas by. Those who will simply cheer us on, ask us questions to clarify our thoughts or make us think deeper. Thank you Louise and Shannon for reminding me of the importance of this role in learning today.

On the technical side, Audacity is a great program to record audio. It lets you clip and cut out parts. There is a whole community online around Audacity. As Louise found out today, you do have to install a plug-in to allow you to export the audio file as an .mp3 file. Audacity can also be found on school computers. If you want more information about our student internet radio station check out http://scdsblive.ca or ask Louise! 





No comments:

Post a Comment